This is a personal website. All views and information presented herein are our own and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Perspective from afar


Really, America?

It is bad enough that I've been gone for two and half months and I'm being asked by Vietnamese citizens if I think Donald Trump will be elected President. Seriously? Uh, no. I'm embarrassed that this gas bag has gotten enough attention that he's being considered a serious candidate. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to try and answer questions like this. I mean, I'm living in a Communist country, and even they are laughing at our politics. That's not a good sign.

And then, to make matters worse, I read the New York Times this morning, and what do I see: is it a thoughtful article on how the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal will impact America and countries like Vietnam? Nope. It is an article about the stupid red cups at Starbucks, and how they are taking Christmas out of the Christmas season. Are you kidding me?!? This is what you're fired up about? This is what you're spending time talking about, America?!? 

Forget for a minute that you'd have to be pretty insecure about your religion to worry whether Starbucks is recognizing it on their cup, and just recognize how stupid and inane the conversation is in the first place. Say Merry Christmas. Say Happy Holidays. Put a snowflake or a baby Jesus on a cup. Who cares?!? This is really what you care about, America? Can't you find something to talk about that really matters?

Being in Vietnam and looking at America from afar has given me some perspective. We're coming back in seven weeks. Please get your act together before then.

</rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment