This is a personal website. All views and information presented herein are our own and do not represent the views of the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Wages at Legend




The beer in Vietnam is fine, but after awhile it starts to taste the same.  Bia Saigon is a little better than Bia Hanoi, but most of the beer I've had in Vietnam has been the quality of Budweiser (or worse).  Yesterday at lunch I finally had an opportunity to go to Legend Beer, a microbrewery of sorts that has German-style beer here.  There are 4 or 5 of them around Hanoi, and the beer was very good. My lunch was excellent.

But even more interesting was my discussion with my server (or the manager, I'm not exactly sure what his role was).  It was a rainy day in Hanoi and cold for their standards, so the restaurant was deserted midday despite being right in the heart of the Old Quarter.  So this guy had some time to speak with me and practice his English.

After the usual introductions ("where are you from?  Why are you in Hanoi?"), he wanted to tell me that he's very interested in moving to America because he has a friend there and "the wages are much higher there."  It turns out this guy works 6 days a week at Legends for 8 hours each shift and brings home 5 million VND a month (about $225).  He then goes to another job at a bar and works 5 pm - 2 am 6 days a week, also for 5 million VND.  He sleeps at the bar and then does it all over again.  16 hour days, 6 days a week, for less than $500 a month.  He's desperate to get to America, and I'm starting to see why.

The labor situation fascinates me here in Vietnam.  Unemployment is very low here, and in almost every store or restaurant I go in it seems to be way over-staffed.  But labor is also very cheap here, so it is not difficult to hire workers.  As this economy continues to develop and global trade becomes more of an issue here, I wonder how it will impact this labor market.

No comments:

Post a Comment